Saturday, June 11, 2011

TMI Question: What Are You Really Bad At?

Today’s TMI question is what are you really bad at? This one is so easy. It’s cooking. I will freely admit that I’m not the world’s greatest food connoisseur. I don’t go to restaurants and chow down on exotic food. My diet’s pretty basic but nothing over the top. Plus, I have zero time to make anything that takes more effort than fried eggs. In my world, if I can’t push buttons to make it, it either doesn’t get made or it gets ordered in. I cook just well enough to get by. When I do cook, I don’t do recipes. I just figure it out, usually with disastrous results.


That actually leads me to my honorable mention as to what I’m really bad at; which is having patience, especially with stupid people. In life, you are given a certain amount of creativity and brains. If you’re a genius, you get a heaping helping of both. If you’re like most people, you get a decent amount of both. Then, there are some who get a whole lot of one and none of the other. In the entertainment industry, unfortunately you get a lot of people who get a lot of creativity and zero brains and unfortunately for me, those are the people I get to deal with.

I’ll give you an example. A client wanted me to hunt down 3 benches that were the same. I hunted them down and sent photos. In the email, I wrote “these are the choices. The place has 3 of each type of bench so we should be ok with whichever one we pick”. In the client’s responding email, they wrote “that’s great. Do they have 3 of each bench?” At that moment, I start thinking about flying on an airplane with the pilot’s voice coming over the intercom saying “excuse me passengers, this is your captain speaking. The proceeding email just flew over your head at an altitude of 30,000 feet and I’ve noticed the flight attendant has turned on the No Thinking sign. Please turn your brain off and put back in the upright position”. These are the people I get to spend time with every day.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment